The Nommo Gallery, founded and established in 1964 by the 1959 Act of Parliament, is Uganda’s National Art Gallery and a component of the Uganda National Cultural Centre (UNCC). The Nommo Gallery features exhibitions of works of art by both Ugandan and foreign artists.
It sits in a secure location in the heart of Kampala City just next to State Lodge at Nakasero (Plot 4, Victoria Avenue) and boasts of an impressive assortment of art masterpieces from paintings, batiks (tie-and-dye), ceramics, art prints, photographs and sculptors, among others.
The Gallery pursues the following Objectives:
- Exploring, encouraging and developing creative talent.
- Building up a national collection of Art by prominent Ugandan artists for permanent custody and displays.
- Involving children and youth in creative activities geared towards cultural awareness, vocational and recreational ends.
- Participating in national and international exchange programs through exhibitions, seminars and workshops.
- Carrying out research, publication and dissemination of knowledge about Uganda’s artistic heritage for educational purposes.
- Giving support and expertise in the creation and development of cultural activities and industries; to foster self reliance and promote cultural tourism in Uganda.
Address: Plot 4, Victoria avenue Nakasero, next to State Lodge Victoria Ave, Kampala
Opening Hours: Mon-Fri: 9am – 5pm
Phone: 041 4234475